An Antebellum Wonderland: Madison County, Georgia

Established in 1809, Madison is the seat and the largest town in Morgan County. Madison was incorporated in 1809 and named in honor of U.S. president James Madison, who negotiated a treaty with nearby Creek Indians. Many of the town’s original settlers had received land grants in the region as compensation for their service during the American Revolution (1775-83). The early town flourished as a stagecoach stop, and an in-town residence for planters’ families. Described before the War as “The most cultured and aristocratic town on the stagecoach route from Charleston to New Orleans”, Madison has been welcoming visitors from around the world for almost two centuries.

Continue reading An Antebellum Wonderland: Madison County, Georgia